Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Pavan votes for Ron Paul

My uncle Pavan (though I think of him more like a cousin) lives in Austin, TX. Over the last few months we've had many long chats about the elections and US politics in general. He was a supporter of Kucinich until he dropped out. And his other favourite was Ron Paul. So he actually took the bold step of registering for the Republican party and voting for Ron Paul in the Texas primaries!

Here is the mail he sent me right after that:
"I went around 1.00 pm and was out in less than 15-20 minutes. The
process worked like this:

1. Get eligibility and address verified
2. Choose party affiliation - applies to the *entire* slate of
candidates - I only saw the Republican choices. So there was no way I
could have voted for a Democrat at the local level. And it looks like
I won't be able to in any primary/runoff until 2010.
3. Get card stamped, voter rolls stamped.
4. Pick up authorization/PIN code for voting machine.
5. Vote!

The voting machine was weird - had an LCD display with big buttons -
it was NOT a touchscreen - so it felt a bit weird. Nav was via a
scroll wheel! Display showed 4-6 pages of choices. RP was the first
choice on the first screen of the actual voting screens! I think the
manufacturer of the voting machines is "Hart Interactive" or something
- definitely not Diebold!

I took the pictures outside the school. It is less than 0.5 mile from
home. You can see the profusion of signs - most of them were for local
government positions. Too many Obama signs, very few Clinton signs, a
decent sprinkling of RP signs :)"


No comments: